Do you know an educator who goes above and beyond in the area of special education? Please consider nominating them for the 2016 Josephine J. Decima Award. This award is presented annually to a teacher in the CAIU’s service area whose commitment and service in the field of special education epitomizes the qualities that Josephine Decima demonstrated in her work with children. It will be presented during American Education Week.
This honor also includes a $500 monetary award graciously donated by the Decima family.
Nominees should demonstrate:
- Advocacy for the educational needs of all children, especially those with physical and mental challenges.
- Compassion for students with special needs.
- Commitment to help children with special needs become a vital part of the community.
- Effort to provide valuable and practical life experiences for students with special needs.
- Willingness to share knowledge, skills, and experiences with colleagues in order to strengthen educational programs and pedagogy.
- Initiative to seek and provide services for students with special needs.
Nominations can come from professionals or the community. Nominees must be an educator of students with special needs who works within the CAIU service area, and must hold PA Level II Certification in the area of special education. Please read the brochure for more information and an application.
Decima 2016 Brochure Application
Nomination deadline: 5 p.m., Friday, December 16, 2016