Numerous scientific studies have suggested a strong link between child nutrition and learning in school. This supports the importance of school meal programs in improving the educational performance of our students.
The Capital Area Intermediate Unit Food Services participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and the National School Breakfast Program (NSBP) and serves nutritious / healthy meals every school day. All meals served must meet nutrition standards established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Student Wellness Policy.
- To provide quality meals that are balanced and nutritious.
- To provide an opportunity for all students to meet one third of their daily nutritional needs.
- To maintain high standards of sanitation and safety.
- To be an integral part of the CAIU Student Wellness Program by helping to educate students about proper nutrition.
- To give students an opportunity to learn to eat a variety of foods.
- To effectively communicate menu offerings to students, parents and staff and help students to make informed choices.
- To utilize technology as needed to enhance the effectiveness of our program.
- To stay abreast of new regulations / standards as they pertain to the food services program.
- To regularly attend school nutrition conferences, workshops and in-services in order to grow in the area of food and nutrition to better serve the needs of students and staff.
The CAIU Food Services Manager meets two times per year with student council to evaluate new products, obtain survey feedback and discuss current menu items with regards to food service regulations.
Food is in...when school is out! During the summer months, do you need help finding food or do you know someone who does? Kids ages 18 and younger can get nutritious summer meals at NO CHARGE. There are several ways to find a location near you:
- Call 211 or 1.866.3HUNGRY or 7.877.8HAMBRE
- Text: "FOOD" or "COMIDA" to 877877
- Download: RangeAPP.org mobile app
- Visit the website: www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks