THE NEXT GUEST TEACHER TRAINING IS SCHEDULED FOR
SEPTEMBER 3 - 5, 2013
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ALL INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE
INCLUDING THE "FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS"
CLICK Application FAQs FOR THE ANSWER TO YOUR MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
We appreciate your interest in pursuing a position as a guest (substitute) teacher and we hope that you will consider participating in our next training. Many of the school districts/vo-techs in Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, Northern York County and the Intermediate Unit participate in this program which has had great success over the past few years. We look forward to placing even more highly skilled individuals into classrooms in the coming school years.
The Guest Teacher Program is sponsored by the Capital Area Intermediate Unit. The program was created to find qualified personnel to work as "guest (substitute) teachers" to replace regular classroom teachers during training sessions and/or leave time.
- Individuals wishing to participate will be required to complete an application and submit along with the required fee and three (3) letters of reference.
- Please Read - Application Letter 2013-2014
- Please Print, Complete and Return along with the $125 Processing Fee - Guest Teacher Application
- COMPLETION OF AN ESSAY IS NOT REQUIRED
- Submit the application along with the $125 processing fee which covers
the cost of the application packet, three-day training session which
includes coffee/tea in the morning, lunch, and the Guest Teacher Manual.
The fee also helps defray administrative costs including scanning and
sending all paperwork to the school districts. The fee must be submitted
with the application - cash, check or money order (payable to CAIU) will
be accepted as payment.
- Transcript showing proof of Bachelor's Degree (A sealed/official/unopened transcript will be required for the CAIU to submit your application to the PA Department of Education). ONLY Bachelor's Degree transcripts in sealed original envelope will be accepted. Please DO NOT submit Master's or Ph.D. transcripts.
TB (Tuberculosis Test) must be obtained within 90 days of your employment as a substitute
- If you are selected, you will be given additional information at the time of the interview regarding forms that will need to be completed for participation in the training program along with information about the new TIMS System. Please do not give any paperwork to your interviewer.
- Interviews will take place at our Lemoyne Office.
Candidates will be required to successfully complete the interview process, three-day training session and, a one-day classroom visitation. Registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. each day. Training is held at our Enola office beginning at 8:30 a.m. and ending at approximately 3:15 p.m.
During the training sessions, you will learn about professionalism, lesson planning, behavior/classroom management, special education, and you will be introduced to a "Bag of Tricks" to use in the classroom.
PA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION APPLICATION CHANGES:
Major changes have been made to the PA Department of Education Application process effective January 2012. Instructions on how to register and access the new TIMS (Teacher Information Management System) will be provided following the interview and acceptance into the program.
All applicants will be required to complete all of the clearances listed below. Keep in mind that ALL clearances must be less than one year old at the time of the training.
- Current Act 34 Clearance (PA Criminal Background Check - $10 Fee Required) Please be sure to click the "certification form" link and print the certificate
- Current Act 151 Clearance (Child Abuse Clearance - $10 Fee Required) - Original certificate must be presented. Allow 3-4 weeks for processing through the Department of Public Welfare.
- Current Act 114 Clearance (Federal Fingerprinting - $28.75 Fee Required) You Must obtain an FBI Clearance under the PA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION by clicking the link. NO OTHER FBI CLEARANCE WILL BE ACCEPTED. DO NOT click the "PA DEPT OF PUBLIC WELFARE" or "PA DEPT OF BANKING". These Clearances WILL NOT be accepted. You Must Present The Registration ID (which starts with PAE) To The CAIU. You may request an "UNOFFICIAL" PAPER COPY of the clearance if you wish.
Participating School Districts for the 2013-2014 School Year may include the following (This list is subject to change):
- Central Dauphin
- Cumberland Valley
- Derry Township
- East Pennsboro
- Lower Dauphin
- Millersburg Area
- Northern York
- South Middleton
- Upper Dauphin
- West Shore
- Cumberland-Perry Vo Tech
- Dauphin Co. Vo Tech
Foreign Applicants will be required to supply the following in order to be approved as a "Guest" substitute teacher:
- Foreign Evaluation Report: completed by a private agency listed on the NACES website. This evaluation must show U.S. equivalent of all foreign degrees plus a course-by-course evaluation showing semester hour college credit and cumulative GPA;
- Affidavit: completed Affidavit of "Declaration of Intent to Become a Citizen" or completed "Declaration of United States Citizenship.";
- Supply/Provide: A photocopy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Visa (green card)
- PDE 338G Form (supplied at the time of interview)
- All of the above documents must be given to the HR Projects Coordinator at the time of the training. If you do not have the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in the United States and a Permanent Resident Visa, the evaluation will not proceed.
Special Note to Individuals who completed the training, but never substituted OR to those out of the program for more than 3 years:
Due to the constant changes in laws, rules, and regulations with regards to education, anyone who completed training, but never substituted or those out of the program for more than three (3) years, may be required to complete the Guest Teacher Training program again before approval can be given to work as a day-to-day substitute teacher.
Attention Registered Nurses:
Registered nurses interested in becoming school nurse substitutes must complete the Guest Teacher application, interview, and training and provide "official" sealed transcripts showing proof of bachelor's degree along with a copy of their RN license in order to be approved as a school nurse substitute.
- October 1, 2013- Last day Renewal paperwork will be accepted for the 2013-2014 School Year
December 1, 2013 - Last day paperwork will be accepted for those completing the September 2013 Training